[Neutron] ORNL: Postdoctoral Research Associate – Organic Spintronics / Electronics / NB50583248
davidsonld at ornl.gov
Tue Jul 26 19:51:25 CEST 2016
Job Posting Title
Postdoctoral Research Associate – Organic Spintronics / Electronics / NB50583248
End Posting Date
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor
(HFIR), the United States' highest flux reactor based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world's
most intense pulsed accelerator based neutron source. Together these facilities operate 30 instruments for neutron scattering
research, each year carrying out in excess of 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials, biological and medical
sciences. HFIR also provides unique facilities for isotope production and neutron irradiation. To learn more about Neutron
Sciences at ORNL go to: http://neutrons.ornl.gov.
The Neutron Sciences Directorate at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) invites applications for a Postdoctoral Research
Associate with experience and expertise in spintronics/electronics and neutron/X-ray scattering (diffraction), with a strong
emphasis on the design and characterization of organic spintronic/electronic devices. This position resides in the
Engineering Materials Group of the Chemical and Engineering Materials Division (EM CEMD) and benefits from strong
interactions with the Center for Nanophase Materials Sciences (CNMS) at ORNL and will comprise a diverse spectrum of
As a member of the Engineering Materials Group, major responsibilities/duties will include design and characterization of
structure as well as magnetic properties of spintronic/electronic devices such as spin-valve (SV) and light emitting diode
(LED) based on the heterostructures of condensed/soft matter components with high charge carrier mobility. The successful
candidate will join an interdisciplinary research team with expertise in polarized neutron scattering, thin film growth, materials
chemistry, and device fabrication/characterization as well as, organic synthesis, and theory/simulation to explore the effect of
subatomic, intermolecular and interfacial structure on the magnetotransport property of the fabricated organic spintronic
* Take a lead role in the design and characterization of organic spintronic devices
* Formulate a forefront research effort in spintronics/electronics that takes advantages of existing capabilities in organic
conjugated material synthesis in combination with magnetic layers, characterization, modelling/simulation and neutron
* Interface with various scientists with expertise in neutron/X-ray scattering, conjugated material synthesis, theory/simulation,
thin film growth, materials chemistry, and device fabrication/characterization to explore the effect of selective deuterium
substitution of conjugated materials on the magnetotransport property of the organic spintronic devices
* Responsible for presenting and reporting research results and publishing scientific results in peer-reviewed journals in a
* Ensure compliance with environment, safety, health and quality program requirements
* Maintain strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics
* A PhD completed within the last 5 years in Materials Science, Physics, or other relevant fields from an accredited
institution. All PhD degree requirements must be completed before reporting to work.
* An excellent record of productive and creative research demonstrated by publications in peer-reviewed journals
* Expertise in the design, fabrication and characterization of organic spintronic/electronic devices
* Expertise in cryogenic electrical and magnetic measurement (SQUID or PPMS)
* Candidates should be self-motivated, have good interpersonal, communication and presentation skills and a demonstrated
ability to interact effectively with colleagues at all levels. The ability to work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team is a
* Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to communicate to an international scientific audience
* Ability to set priorities, multi-task and adapt to ever changing needs with the proven ability to function well in a fast-paced
* Ability to work with a measure of autonomy and a willingness to participate creatively in a collaborative team environment.
* Experience with neutron / X-ray scattering and diffraction.
* Knowledge of characterization techniques, e.g., TEM, UV-vis and XRD is highly desirable.
Other Information and Requirements
* Appointments will initially be for 24 months with a possibility of an extension of up to 12 months depending on the funding
situation. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and availability of funding.
* Please provide a list of publications when applying for this position. A minimum of 2 letters of reference are required and
can be uploaded to your profile or emailed directly to sic at ornl.gov. Please include the title of the position in the subject line.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or
We accept Word(.doc, .docx), Excel(.xls, .xlsx), PowerPoint(.ppt, .pptx), Adobe(.pdf), Rich Text Format(.rtf), HTML(.htm,
.hmtl) and text files(.txt) up to 2MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be
deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov<mailto:ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov>.
Notice: If the position requires a Security Clearance, reviews and tests for the absence of any illegal drug as defined in 10
CFR 707.4 will be conducted by the employer and a background investigation by the Federal government may be required
to obtain an access authorization prior to employment and subsequent reinvestigations may be required.
If the position is covered by the Counterintelligence Evaluation Program regulations at 10 CFR 709, a counterintelligence
evaluation may include a counterintelligence-scope polygraph examination.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected
veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify Employer.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Neutron