[Neutron] ORNL: Postdoctoral Research Associate in Physics / NB50584043
davidsonld at ornl.gov
Fri Jul 29 20:03:20 CEST 2016
Job Posting Title
Postdoctoral Research Associate in Physics / NB50584043
End Posting Date
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor
(HFIR), the United States' highest flux reactor based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world's
most intense pulsed accelerator based neutron source. Together these facilities operate 27 instruments for neutron scattering
research, each year carrying out in excess of 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials, biological and medical
sciences. HFIR also provides unique facilities for isotope production and neutron irradiation. To learn more about Neutron
Sciences at ORNL go to: http://neutrons.ornl.gov.
The physicist will help develop moderator concepts for the Second Target Station (STS) that are alternatives to traditional
moderator choices, and offer colder neutron spectra, higher peak brightness, and improved pulse shapes.
* Continue and extend ongoing efforts to characterize variations in moderator performance with beam power, distinguishing
them from variations with poison/decoupler burnup and orthohydrogen fraction.
* Contribute to the design, construction, and commissioning of the Moderator Development Facility (MDF).
* Assist in developing moderator concepts allowing colder neutron spectra, higher time-averaged and peak brightness and
better pulse shapes than the STS moderators of the proposed TDR design.
* Predict the moderator performance using state-of-the-art neutronics tools
* Demonstrate new moderator concepts experimentally at MDF and/or at LENS/Indiana University.
* Display ES&H understanding and discipline that leads to outstanding safety performance.
* Maintain the highest ethical and professional standards of performance and operates in accordance with these standards.
* Embody ORNL values to be the best in everything we do, guided by shared values that exemplify concern for people and
working together to meet challenging goals.
* PhD in Physics or Nuclear Engineering with degree focus on neutron physics, neutron source characterization, and/or
fundamental physics with neutrons.
* The PhD must have been completed within 5 years of the date of application. All PhD degree requirements for graduation
must be completed before reporting to work.
* Familiarity with neutron transport computational tools (MCNPX, GEANT4, McStas, etc.)
* Familiarity with slow neutron optics and detector systems
* Programming experience with C, Fortran, Perl, and/or Python
* Experience working on linux/unix computer platforms
* Experience in measuring neutron beams
* An excellent record of productive and creative research demonstrated by publications in peer-reviewed journals.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or
We accept Word(.doc, .docx), Excel(.xls, .xlsx), PowerPoint(.ppt, .pptx), Adobe(.pdf), Rich Text Format(.rtf), HTML(.htm,
.hmtl) and text files(.txt) up to 2MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be
deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov.
Notice: If the position requires a Security Clearance, reviews and tests for the absence of any illegal drug as defined in 10
CFR 707.4 will be conducted by the employer and a background investigation by the Federal government may be required
to obtain an access authorization prior to employment and subsequent reinvestigations may be required.
If the position is covered by the Counterintelligence Evaluation Program regulations at 10 CFR 709, a counterintelligence
evaluation may include a counterintelligence-scope polygraph examination.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected
veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify Employer.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Neutron