[Neutron] Job posting: Postdoctoral Research Associate in Neutron and X-ray Scattering
Hermann, Raphael P.
hermannrp at ornl.gov
Wed Aug 24 18:49:30 CEST 2016
Job Posting Title: Postdoctoral Research Associate in Neutron and X-ray Scattering / NB50587631
Posted Date: 08/22/2016
End Posting Date: 09/22/2016
Purpose: The Scattering and Thermophysics Group in the Materials Science and Technology Division at the Oak Ridge National
Laboratory (ORNL) (www.ornl.gov) is seeking a highly qualified candidate to fill a postdoctoral position. The position will
support science programs funded by the U.S. Department of Energy Office of Basic Energy Sciences, Materials Sciences
and Engineering Division. The successful candidate will be expected to work effectively under general supervision with
scientists at neutron and x-ray scattering national user facilities such as the Spallation Neutron Source (ORNL)
(http://www.ornl.gov/user-facilities/sns), the High Flux Isotope Reactor (ORNL) (http://neutrons.ornl.gov/facilities/HFIR/), and
the Advanced Photon Source (Argonne National Laboratory) (http://www.aps.anl.gov). The general scientific focus will be on
using measurements of the structure and dynamics of energy-related functional materials to elucidate the mechanisms
underpinning useful energy conversion processes, such as magneto-electric, magneto-caloric, or thermoelectric. The
candidate will work in close collaboration with primarily Dr. Raphaël Hermann, Dr. John Budai, and Dr. Michael Manley.
Apply online<https://recruiting.ornl.gov/sap/bc/webdynpro/sap/hrrcf_a_posting_apply?PARAM=cG9zdF9pbnN0X2d1aWQ9MDA1MDU2QjQzOTc3MUVENjlBOEZDNTZCRjMwREI0NEMmY2FuZF90eXBlPUVYVA%3D%3D&sap-client=010&sap-language=EN> by Sept. 22.
Link to full posting: http://bit.ly/2bZ1IRN
• Conduct neutron, x-ray scattering and Mössbauer spectral experiments, including nuclear resonance scattering (e.g.,
lattice dynamics, crystal structure, disorder and thermal diffuse scattering, data analysis, and some modeling).
• Work with others to maintain a high level of scientific productivity; the job holder will interact regularly with senior
scientists, program managers, and group members.
• Responsible for presenting and reporting research results and publishing scientific results in peer-reviewed journals in
a timely manner
• Ensure compliance with environment, safety, health and quality program requirements
• Maintain strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics
• A PhD degree in materials science, physics, inorganic chemistry or a closely related engineering field completed within
the last 5 years
• An excellent record of productive and creative research demonstrated by publications in peer-reviewed journals
• Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to communicate in English to an international scientific
• Motivated and safety conscious
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (which includes Word, PowerPoint and Excel)
• Ability to work with a measure of autonomy and in a collaborative team environment
• Ability to work on multiple tasks in a limited amount of time and to independently set priorities to accomplish multiple
tasks to meet deadlines
• Training and/or experience in neutron, x-ray scattering, or Mössbauer spectroscopy with some understanding of the
applications of materials theory.
OTHER INFORMATION: The appointment length will be up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments
and extensions are subject to performance and availability of funding. Please provide a list of publications when applying for
this position. Three letters of reference are required and can be uploaded to your profile or emailed directly to
PSDrecruit at ornl.gov. Please include the title of the position in the subject line.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or
We accept Word(.doc, .docx), Excel(.xls, .xlsx), PowerPoint(.ppt, .pptx), Adobe(.pdf), Rich Text Format(.rtf), HTML(.htm,
.hmtl) and text files(.txt) up to 2MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be
deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov.
Notice: If the position requires a Security Clearance, reviews and tests for the absence of any illegal drug as defined in 10
CFR 707.4 will be conducted by the employer and a background investigation by the Federal government may be required
to obtain an access authorization prior to employment and subsequent reinvestigations may be required.
If the position is covered by the Counterintelligence Evaluation Program regulations at 10 CFR 709, a counterintelligence
evaluation may include a counterintelligence-scope polygraph examination.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected
veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify Employer.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Neutron