[Neutron] ORNL: Mechanical Engineer / NB50591281
davidsonld at ornl.gov
Tue Sep 6 23:32:21 CEST 2016
Job Posting Title
Mechanical Engineer / NB50591281
End Posting Date
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor
(HFIR), the United States' highest flux reactor based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world's
most intense pulsed accelerator based neutron source. Together these facilities operate 30 instruments for neutron scattering
research, each year carrying out in excess of 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials, biological and medical
sciences. HFIR also provides unique facilities for isotope production and neutron irradiation. To learn more about Neutron
Sciences at ORNL go to: http://neutrons.ornl.gov.
In this role you will perform engineering analysis on a wide variety of systems in support of the SNS neutron source systems,
including high power targets, and moderator and reflector plug assemblies. These systems receive pulsed, high power, high
energy proton beams and are first-of-a-kind systems that have unique design issues, requiring innovative approaches and
methods of analysis and simulation. The Mechanical Engineer also performs technical analysis of existing and proposed
designs using established methods as well as developing and improving analysis methods and processes. Participate in
planning and evaluation activities.
* Perform detailed engineering analysis of existing and new target systems of a high power pulsed 1 GeV proton
accelerator, and its auxiliary systems.
* Work with design engineers to develop and analyze design concepts and resolve issues found by analysis.
* Continuously improve analysis methods and processes based on evolving state of the art and feedback from SNS
operating experience and experimental data.
* Produce accurate and concise technical reports and other communications.
* Perform review of technical reports created by others.
* Accurately and reliably communicate technical status and performance to ORNL management.
* Comply with ORNL environment, safety, health, and quality program requirements.
* Maintain a strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of ORNL values and ethics.
MS in mechanical engineering or engineering science and a minimum of 3 years in applicable mechanical engineering
analysis experience. Must have a sound understanding of structural mechanics, fluids, heat transfer, and materials and
have the ability to quickly grasp complex technical problems. Must be able to technically analyze engineering systems
and communicate results. Must be willing and able to learn new analysis methods and related skills needed to provide
broad analysis support for SNS systems. Must have excellent communication skills and the ability to work both
independently and as part of a diverse team consisting of scientific specialists, engineers and designers to meet project
cost and schedule goals. Proficient knowledge of finite element mechanical simulation required (ANSYS, ABAQUS, or
* Familiarity with the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code.
* Experience in explicit finite element simulations such as ABAQUS / Explicit, Autodyn, LS-DYNA, etc.
* Experience with computational fluid dynamics (ANSYS CFX, etc) is a plus.
* Experience with hexahedral meshing (ICEM CFD Hexa, Truegrid, etc.).
* Professional engineer certification is desired.
* Proficiency with CAD and design experience.
Work Directions and Interfaces
This position reports to the Source Development and Engineering Group Leader. The person in this role will also work with
personnel in ISD and other divisions in SNS.
Responsible for content of created technical reports.
Measures of Effectiveness
* Successfully performs analysis needed to support design and evaluation of SNS target system equipment.
* Successfully improves analysis methods and processes.
* Successfully interacts with engineers and physicists throughout the facility to provide needed analysis support and
feedback on design concepts.
* Successfully records and reports analysis results to SDE and division management and review committees.
* Demonstrates technical competence.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or
We accept Word(.doc, .docx), Excel(.xls, .xlsx), PowerPoint(.ppt, .pptx), Adobe(.pdf), Rich Text Format(.rtf), HTML(.htm,
.hmtl) and text files(.txt) up to 2MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be
deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov<mailto:ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov>.
Notice: If the position requires a Security Clearance, reviews and tests for the absence of any illegal drug as defined in 10
CFR 707.4 will be conducted by the employer and a background investigation by the Federal government may be required
to obtain an access authorization prior to employment and subsequent reinvestigations may be required.
If the position is covered by the Counterintelligence Evaluation Program regulations at 10 CFR 709, a counterintelligence
evaluation may include a counterintelligence-scope polygraph examination.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected
veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify Employer.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Neutron