[Neutron] Updated component library for McStas 2.3 released, including ESS_butterfly.comp

Peter Kjær Willendrup pkwi at fysik.dtu.dk
Thu Sep 15 16:15:45 CEST 2016

Dear all,

An updated component library has been pushed to the deb and rpm repositories, plus to the relevant platform folders at
http://download.mcstas.org/mcstas-2.3.

If you are on Windows or Mac OS, please simply locate the updates/ folder in the download site, find the relevant
mcstas-comps-2.3 package and install it on top of your existing McStas 2.3.

Highlights in the new component library are:

1) A new implementation of the ESS moderator component called ESS_butterfly.comp, with test instrument ESS_butterfly_test.instr.

The moderator is of course also available as a "DIY update archive" for people running older versions of McStas, and can be downloaded
- a new update folder at http://download.mcstas.org/mcstas-2.3/updates or from the McStas “share” at http://www.mcstas.org/download/share.

For more information on the updated ESS moderator, its use and benchmark data, please consult http://ess_butterfly.mcstas.org. This little
website also contain (currently draft) documents written with Ken Andersen and Luca Zanini, explaining the reasoning behind changing from
the BF2 design to the BF1 design, neutronical calculations and benchmarks. Please note that these are still in DRAFT status, are expected to
be in their final shape around 2016-09-22.

2) Bug-fixed MCPL i/o components and library - see https://mctools.github.io/mcpl/ for more details.

3) ... plus other minor things, see the GitHub log for mcstas-comps at https://github.com/McStasMcXtrace/McCode/commits/master/mcstas-comps
for more information.

Development is also moving fast on our tools, so we are further planning to release a McStas 2.4 within forseeable future.

Enjoy! :)
Peter Willendrup

Peter Kjær Willendrup
Senior Research Engineer, Special Advisor

DTU Physics

Technical University of Denmark

[cid:image002.gif at 01CCCAF1.5E6331F0]

Department of Physics