[Neutron] ORNL: Protection Systems Engineer / NB50598377
davidsonld at ornl.gov
Fri Oct 14 18:18:03 CEST 2016
Job Posting Title
Protection Systems Engineer / NB50598377
End Posting Date
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor
(HFIR), the United States' highest flux reactor based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world's
most intense pulsed accelerator based neutron source. Together these facilities operate 30 instruments for neutron scattering
research, each year carrying out in excess of 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials, biological and medical
sciences. HFIR also provides unique facilities for isotope production and neutron irradiation. To learn more about Neutron
Sciences at ORNL go to: http://neutrons.ornl.gov.
Serve as a design engineer on the Protection Systems Team to develop, implement and maintain Credited Engineered
Controls (CECs) for the Personnel Protection Systems (PPS) at the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS). The team is
responsible for developing requirements, specifications, documentation, technical design, procedures and oversight of
installation and testing of CEC equipment used for accelerator and instrument personnel protection systems. The team also
supports the operation and maintenance of these systems after they are placed into service, including scheduling of
maintenance activities, directing repair work, as-built drawing preparation and annual certifications. The SNS protection
systems are implemented using Rockwell Automation Allen-Bradley programmable logic controllers.
* Work with a team of engineers and technicians to support and maintain CECs used to protect personnel at SNS from
hazards associated with prompt ionizing radiation and oxygen deficiency hazards
* Translate performance and operational specifications into system requirements
* Lead new project developments by preparing schedules, cost estimates and directing installation work
* Develop and direct test plans and certifications procedures that demonstrate systems satisfy requirements
* Coordinate team work with other accelerator and instrument groups
* Maintain configuration control of assigned systems in accordance with SNS policies
* Supports SNS accelerator and instrument operations including rotating on-call support during scheduled operational
* Perform system engineering role for CECs and related systems
* Ensure and monitor compliance with environment, safety, health, and quality program requirements
* Promptly identify and communicate environmental, safety, health (ESH) and quality assurance (QA) issues to group and
division management, ESH and QA contacts, and subcontractor contacts
* Maintain a strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics
* Master's degree in Electrical or Industrial Engineering or strongly related field with at least 4 years of applicable
experience; or Bachelor's degree in Electrical or Industrial Engineering or strongly related field with at least 6 years of
applicable experience developing, designing, programming, installing and testing high reliability PLC based safety systems
* Experience with application and programming of Allen Bradley (or equivalent) Logix family PLCs, ControlNet, DeviceNet
and Ethernet communication networks
* Ability to work independently and proactively seek solutions to meet project requirements
* Good critical thinking skills and the ability to support changes in priorities, resolve conflicts and balance work over multiple
* Demonstrated experience using standard electronic tools, test equipment and instruments
* Demonstrated ability to build relationships with customers, understand customer needs and translate requirements into
appropriate engineered controls,
* Good written and verbal communication skills including the ability to clearly present technical information to varying levels
of staff including higher level management
* Experience with system engineering principles and application within a scientific environment
* Working knowledge of active safety system design and related standards such as IEC 16508, 61511, 62061 and ISO
13849-1 & -2 and high reliability engineering principles
* Experience with implementation of GuardLogix integrated safety systems
* Experience with implementation of Allen-Bradley PanelView graphics terminals using FactoryTalk Studio software.
* Familiarity with the Experimental Physics and Industrial Control System (EPICS) framework as applied to distributed
control systems for a large accelerator project or scientific facility
* Certification as Certified Safety Engineer or Certified Functional Safety Expert (CFSE)
Work Directions and Interfaces
Reports to the SNS Protection System Team Leader in the Control Systems Group of the Research Accelerator Division
(RAD). Works closely with scientists and engineers from other SNS accelerator and instrument technical groups.
* Take needed actions and provide required resources to ensure team works safely
* Manage assigned resources to complete team projects
Measures of Effectiveness
* Successful delivery of systems and upgrades in support of SNS requirements for credited engineered controls
* Reliability, availability, and sustainability of provided systems
* Quality of system-related documentation and system management
* Effectiveness of work in a diverse team environment
* Level of initiative and ownership demonstrated through individual and team projects
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or
We accept Word(.doc, .docx), Excel(.xls, .xlsx), PowerPoint(.ppt, .pptx), Adobe(.pdf), Rich Text Format(.rtf), HTML(.htm,
.hmtl) and text files(.txt) up to 2MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be
deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov<mailto:ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov>.
Notice: If the position requires a Security Clearance, reviews and tests for the absence of any illegal drug as defined in 10
CFR 707.4 will be conducted by the employer and a background investigation by the Federal government may be required
to obtain an access authorization prior to employment and subsequent reinvestigations may be required.
If the position is covered by the Counterintelligence Evaluation Program regulations at 10 CFR 709, a counterintelligence
evaluation may include a counterintelligence-scope polygraph examination.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected
veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify Employer.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Neutron