[Neutron] ORNL: Control Room Accelerator Specialist / NB50600620
davidsonld at ornl.gov
Wed Oct 26 21:52:54 CEST 2016
Job Posting Title
Control Room Accelerator Specialist / NB50600620
End Posting Date
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor
(HFIR), the United States' highest flux reactor based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world's
most intense pulsed accelerator based neutron source. Together these facilities operate 30 instruments for neutron scattering
research, each year carrying out in excess of 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials, biological and medical
sciences. HFIR also provides unique facilities for isotope production and neutron irradiation. To learn more about Neutron
Sciences at ORNL go to: http://neutrons.ornl.gov.
As a member of the Research Accelerator Division Accelerator Operations Group, the Control Room Accelerator Specialist is
responsible for the safe operation of all Spallation Neutron Source (SNS) accelerator systems and adheres to the SNS
Operations Procedures Manual.
* Safely operates the SNS 1 GeV superconducting linear proton accelerator and associated subsystems to enable the
NScD neutron scattering science program;
* Participates in accelerator operations support activities, including troubleshooting, performing installation, maintenance
and upgrades to accelerator subsystems, supporting beam development activities, and developing accelerator control
* Understands, adheres to, and communicates to others relevant portions of the SNS Operational Procedures Manual;
* Communicates, complies with, and maintains an understanding of, environment, safety, health, and quality (ESH&Q)
* Maintains certification as a qualified accelerator specialist;
* Provides work direction to technicians, as needed, during troubleshooting, maintenance, and repair cycles;
* Maintains a strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics;
* During extended maintenance outages, communicates the machine status to the Plan of the Day meeting audience
and serves as the on-site safety coordinator during off-hour operations.
* Work 12-hour shifts on a year-round, rotating schedule (includes day and night shifts).
* Respond to emergencies in a timely manner.
* Must successfully complete the SNS Control Room Accelerator Specialist Training Program within a year and remain
Physical requirements include the following:
* Occasional - Walking, standing, reaching both high and low levels, and hearing - conversation and auditory alarms.
* Frequent - Speaking clearly, seeing near and far, and color vision.
* Constant - Sitting and finger movement.
* Occasionally personnel protective equipment (PPE) will be required when making tours of the facility or when
operating electrical breakers and disconnect switches. The PPE can be any or all of the following - Eye and hearing
protection, covering for the head, arms, hands, fingers, full body and skin protection.
An Associate's degree in physics, computer science, electrical, mechanical or related scientific field, and at least two years of
relevant experience is required. An equivalent combination of relevant education and experience may be considered. Must
have effective written communication skills and the ability to make detailed recording of activities, observations, and actions.
Must have effective oral communication skills including interpersonal skills working with a team of engineers, physicists,
technicians, operators, and crafts.
* A BS degree is preferred
* 2 or more years of operations experience with a particle accelerator and related control systems, or operation of Navy
Nuclear propulsion systems.
* Experience in developing procedures
* Experience in developing EPICS control screens
Work Directions and Interfaces
Position reports to the Research Accelerator Division (RAD) Operations Coordinator, and interfaces with operations
personnel, technicians, physicists and engineers.
Measures of Effectiveness
* Successfully assists in achieving efficient operation of the SNS accelerator systems.
* Successfully creates an environment in which individuals within accelerator operations can adhere to SNS ESH&Q
requirements; and provides enforcement of these requirements.
* Successfully reports and represents accelerator operations activities to SNS management, review committees and
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or
We accept Word(.doc, .docx), Excel(.xls, .xlsx), PowerPoint(.ppt, .pptx), Adobe(.pdf), Rich Text Format(.rtf), HTML(.htm,
.hmtl) and text files(.txt) up to 2MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be
deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov<mailto:ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov>.
Notice: If the position requires a Security Clearance, reviews and tests for the absence of any illegal drug as defined in 10
CFR 707.4 will be conducted by the employer and a background investigation by the Federal government may be required
to obtain an access authorization prior to employment and subsequent reinvestigations may be required.
If the position is covered by the Counterintelligence Evaluation Program regulations at 10 CFR 709, a counterintelligence
evaluation may include a counterintelligence-scope polygraph examination.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected
veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify Employer.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Neutron