[Neutron] ORNL: Chief Engineer, Proton Power Upgrade / NB50601924
davidsonld at ornl.gov
Fri Nov 4 03:25:49 CET 2016
Job Posting Title
Chief Engineer, Proton Power Upgrade / NB50601924
End Posting Date
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor
(HFIR), the United States' highest flux reactor based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world's
most intense pulsed accelerator based neutron source. Together these facilities operate 30 instruments for neutron scattering
research, each year carrying out in excess of 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials, biological and medical
sciences. HFIR also provides unique facilities for isotope production and neutron irradiation. To learn more about Neutron
Sciences at ORNL go to: http://neutrons.ornl.gov.
The PPU Project Chief Engineer provides engineering leadership and coordinates the design and integration of engineering
systems including accelerator and target systems to ensure project designs conform to physics requirements, engineering
criteria and control interfaces and to successfully deliver integrated systems within the approved project baseline.
- Coordinate technical aspects of the project engineering process to produce efficient designs that meet the technical base
- Serve as the primary PPU interface to SNS operations for interpretation of work control processes and coordination of work
- Act as the principal systems integration engineer for the project
- Serve as a member for the PPU Change Control Board
- Review and concurs in the appointment of PPU engineering subject matter experts
- Review and proposes high-level changes to the technical baseline requirements
- Develop and maintain project level interface control documentation
Review and approve high-level design documentation including Systems Requirements, Document major procurement
packages and Quality Assurance (QA) actions
- Participate in WBS System Manager Reviews of Cost Account Manager's (CAM) Annual Work Package to develop
consistent technical, cost and schedule milestones
- Ensure compliance with Environment, Safety and Health (ES&H) and QA requirements
- Provide leadership at the project level to create a success oriented project culture
- Ensure that the Scope of Work on major project procurements is technically complete and integrated with cost and schedule
- Develop strong working relationships across the project with CAMs, line managers, vendors, sponsors, and project support
organizations including ES&H, QA, procurement, business, project controls, and human resources
- Establish and manage PPU engineering standards and procedures, the design review process, the value engineering
program, and the project level installation plans
- Represent the PPU Project by participating in and presenting project information at reviews, conferences and workshops
- Advanced degree in science or engineering with at least 15 years experience in engineering design and fabrication of
complex technical components
- Proven success in managing engineering teams, including systems engineering and design integration for complex
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with and manage sponsors, vendors, partners, and project team members.
- Must be available for some domestic travel.
- Prior experience in accelerator engineering projects
- Knowledge of DOE project management requirements
Work Directions and Interfaces
Position reports to the PPU Project Office Director.
Authority/Approval Levels: Provides work direction to and coordination of level 2 WBS leaders. Acts as Technical
Responsible Officer (TPO) for specific procurement contracts.
Measures of Effectiveness
- Successfully manages integration of engineering aspects of the PPU project
- Successfully fabrication and installation of PPU equipment
- Successfully represents PPU at reviews and other project meetings and workshops
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or
We accept Word(.doc, .docx), Excel(.xls, .xlsx), PowerPoint(.ppt, .pptx), Adobe(.pdf), Rich Text Format(.rtf), HTML(.htm,
.hmtl) and text files(.txt) up to 2MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be
deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov.
Notice: If the position requires a Security Clearance, reviews and tests for the absence of any illegal drug as defined in 10
CFR 707.4 will be conducted by the employer and a background investigation by the Federal government may be required
to obtain an access authorization prior to employment and subsequent reinvestigations may be required.
If the position is covered by the Counterintelligence Evaluation Program regulations at 10 CFR 709, a counterintelligence
evaluation may include a counterintelligence-scope polygraph examination.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected
veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify Employer.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Neutron