[Neutron] ORNL: Postdoctoral Research Associate - NESL / NB50602456
davidsonld at ornl.gov
Tue Nov 8 14:29:01 CET 2016
Job Posting Title
Postdoctoral Research Associate - NESL / NB50602456
End Posting Date
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor
(HFIR), the United States' highest flux reactor based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world's
most intense pulsed accelerator based neutron source. Together these facilities operate 27 instruments for neutron scattering
research, each year carrying out in excess of 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials, biological and medical
sciences. HFIR also provides unique facilities for isotope production and neutron irradiation. To learn more about Neutron
Sciences at ORNL go to: http://neutrons.ornl.gov.
The Instrument Projects and Development Group in the Instrument and Source Division (ISD) has an immediate opening for
a post-doctoral research associate. Applications are sought from creative and motivated individuals who will develop a
research program in diffraction and inelastic studies of high-temperature liquids in both normal and super-cooled phases
employing a newly developed Neutron Electrostatic Levitator (NESL). This research is expected to be highly collaborative
both with scientists within ORNL and external partners. A significant amount of effort will be devoted to improving the
performance and availability of NESL.
In this role you will work with the Instrumentation Project and Development group, sample environment team, the NOMAD,
ARCS, and CNCS instrument teams, as well as non-ORNL partners to:
- Continue to develop the capabilities and reliability of N ESL with the goal that it becomes available to the general user
- Demonstrate the capabilities of NESL as installed in the three indicated neutron scattering instruments at the SNS
- Collaborate with internal and external scientists in the writing and submission of beam time proposals (particularly, but not
limited to, those involving NESL)
- Develop their own research program
- Publish scientific papers on this research
- Present scientific results at appropriate national and international conferences
- Ph.D. in materials science, physics, mechanical engineering, or other related science fields is required.
- Candidates must be willing to work in a team environment on technically and scientifically challenging problems.
- Applicants must have received their PhD within five years of this application and must complete all degree requirements
before starting their appointment.
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience in neutron scattering techniques and in the use and operation of
apparatus to levitate samples.
- Strong written and oral communications skills are preferred.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or
We accept Word(.doc, .docx), Excel(.xls, .xlsx), PowerPoint(.ppt, .pptx), Adobe(.pdf), Rich Text Format(.rtf), HTML(.htm,
.hmtl) and text files(.txt) up to 2MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be
deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov.
Notice: If the position requires a Security Clearance, reviews and tests for the absence of any illegal drug as defined in 10
CFR 707.4 will be conducted by the employer and a background investigation by the Federal government may be required
to obtain an access authorization prior to employment and subsequent reinvestigations may be required.
If the position is covered by the Counterintelligence Evaluation Program regulations at 10 CFR 709, a counterintelligence
evaluation may include a counterintelligence-scope polygraph examination.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected
veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify Employer.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Neutron