[Neutron] ORNL: Team Leader Data Analysis and Modeling / NB50605424
davidsonld at ornl.gov
Wed Nov 30 12:50:28 CET 2016
Job Posting Title
Team Leader Data Analysis and Modeling / NB50605424
End Posting Date
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor
(HFIR), the United States' highest flux reactor based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world's
most intense pulsed accelerator based neutron source. Together these facilities operate 30 instruments for neutron scattering
research, each year carrying out in excess of 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials, biological and medical
sciences for more than 3,000 visiting scientists. To learn more about Neutron Sciences at ORNL go to:
http://neutrons.ornl.gov. ORNL is also home of the Oak Ridge Leadership Computing Facility (OCLF), the Center for
Nanophase Materials Science (CNMS) complemented by a large theory and materials science program.
Oak Ridge National Laboratory seeks to hire a team leader heading the neutron scattering data analysis and materials
modeling team as part of the scientific data analysis group. Our approach is based on complementary and synergistic
research activities in modeling, simulation, data analysis and experimentation. These efforts build on a long-standing
collaboration between the Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) and the Computational and Computer Sciences Directorate
(CCSD) at ORNL. The successful candidate will express and execute on a vision for research in particular areas of materials
science, incorporating strengths in theory, modeling, simulation, analysis and experimental methods that emphasizes the
validity of an integrated approach.
- Responsible for managing a team that establishes scientific leadership to develop advanced data analysis, modeling and
simulation methods for neutron scattering data.
- Manage multi-disciplinary team from different ORNL Directorates and different Divisions within NScD.
- Collaborate and work with key stakeholders to include University of Tennessee and other core universities to establish and
maintain outstanding relationships.
- Maintain and extend the outstanding and collaborative relationships between Neutron Sciences Directorate, Computational
Sciences Directorate and Physical Sciences to develop a common vision for the future of modeling and simulation in
materials science and neutron scattering.
- PhD in Materials Science, Physics, Chemistry, Modeling, Computational Materials Science or other science related field.
- Must have five to ten years of Computational Materials Science and Modeling, or related experience
- Must demonstrate the experience and vision needed to advance the state of the art in modeling, theory and simulation
extracting scientific knowledge from neutron scattering data
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills and be able to present neutron scattering and modeling
material to a variety of audiences
- Previous experience with developing strategies for neutron scattering and modeling while in an executive management role
- Previous experience in machine learning is desired.
- A demonstrated ability to collaborate and complete projects within a diverse scientific and cultural research community is
- Previous management experience working in a diverse research environment is preferred.
- NScD prefers applicants that enjoy working in a team environment, with the collaboration of all levels, disciplines, and
diverse cultural backgrounds of the organization.
Work Directions and Interfaces
Reports to the Scientific Data Analysis Group Leader. Interfaces with facility users and stakeholders, other science group
leaders within the Directorate, other ORNL groups, partner laboratories.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or
We accept Word(.doc, .docx), Excel(.xls, .xlsx), PowerPoint(.ppt, .pptx), Adobe(.pdf), Rich Text Format(.rtf), HTML(.htm,
.hmtl) and text files(.txt) up to 2MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be
deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov.
Notice: If the position requires a Security Clearance, reviews and tests for the absence of any illegal drug as defined in 10
CFR 707.4 will be conducted by the employer and a background investigation by the Federal government may be required
to obtain an access authorization prior to employment and subsequent reinvestigations may be required.
If the position is covered by the Counterintelligence Evaluation Program regulations at 10 CFR 709, a counterintelligence
evaluation may include a counterintelligence-scope polygraph examination.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected
veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify Employer.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Neutron