[Neutron] ORNL: Postdoctoral Research Associate - Accelerator Physicist / NB50612458
davidsonld at ornl.gov
Fri Jan 13 18:10:36 CET 2017
Job Posting Title
Postdoctoral Research Associate - Accelerator Physicist / NB50612458
End Posting Date
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor
(HFIR), the United States' highest flux reactor based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world's
most intense pulsed accelerator based neutron source. Together these facilities operate 30 instruments for neutron scattering
research, each year carrying out in excess of 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials, biological and medical
sciences for more than 3,000 visiting scientists. HFIR also provides unique facilities for isotope production and neutron
irradiation. To learn more about Neutron Sciences at ORNL go to: http://neutrons.ornl.gov.
Maintain and develop the intellectual understanding of the SNS accelerator beam, needed to sustain stable beam operations
and to increase beam power while minimizing beam loss. Utilize the SNS accelerator to further the understanding of high
intensity beam physics, e.g. conceive and pursue beam-based experiments. Specific areas of research include (but are not
limited to) beam dynamics in the normal and the superconducting parts of the SNS linac. Includes tasks such as develop and
implement beam loss reduction algorithms and high level control applications for beam tuning, and develop of software
models to simulate and understand beam effects. Additionally, partipipate in injection stripper foil R&D, including
beam-based transmission experiments, high power testing of stripper foils, and guidance for design modifications. Interface
with other accelerator physics team members, with the Beam Instrumentation Team, with the Foil Development team, and
with the Controls and Operations Groups.
* Develops a line of inquiry to understand or improve an aspect of the SNS accelerator beam.
* Develops beam study plans, and participates in shifts to pursue the general lines of inquiry.
* Develops beam simulation models or tools to help understand high intensity beam physics.
* Helps diagnose and remedy machine issues and beam dynamics issues that are not understood.
* Participates in scientific conferences, workshops, meetings and publishes results in the form of SNS technical notes and
memos, workshop and conference proceedings, and scientific journals.
* Participates with other team members in developing goals, resource plans, and policies for the Team and the Group.
* Assists team leader in coordinating the work of graduate students in the team.
* Ensures compliance with environment, safety, health, and quality program requirements including ISMS.
* Maintains a strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics.
- PhD degree in accelerator physics or other related science.
- Applicants must have received their PhD within five years of this application and must complete all degree requirements
before starting their appointment.
- A background in accelerator physics and experience working with an accelerator is desirable.
- Experience working in a control room, conducting accelerator-based experiments, and performing accelerator simulations is
- Good mathematical and programming (Java + Python) skills are highly desirable.
Work Directions and Interfaces
Reports to the SNS Accelerator Physics Team leader, works with physicists, engineers, and students.
Provides work direction to engineers, and students within guidelines established by the Accelerator Physics Team.
Measures of Effectiveness
* Successfully performs assigned work towards achieving optimal performance of SNS accelerator systems.
* Successfully helps to create an environment in which individuals within the team can meet SNS/ORNL environmental,
safety, health and quality requirements; and successful enforcement of these requirements.
* Successfully reports and represents responsible activities to SNS management, review committees and professional
* Successfully provides team leader of the AP Group with help, guidance and information towards establishing team policy
and allocation of team resources.
* Successfully publishes research results of the team in forms of journal publications, conference publications,
Laboratory reports, and project technical notes and memos.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or
We accept Word(.doc, .docx), Excel(.xls, .xlsx), PowerPoint(.ppt, .pptx), Adobe(.pdf), Rich Text Format(.rtf), HTML(.htm,
.hmtl) and text files(.txt) up to 2MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be
deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov.
Notice: If the position requires a Security Clearance, reviews and tests for the absence of any illegal drug as defined in 10
CFR 707.4 will be conducted by the employer and a background investigation by the Federal government may be required
to obtain an access authorization prior to employment and subsequent reinvestigations may be required.
If the position is covered by the Counterintelligence Evaluation Program regulations at 10 CFR 709, a counterintelligence
evaluation may include a counterintelligence-scope polygraph examination.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected
veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify Employer.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Neutron