[Neutron] ORNL: Software Scientist - SANS Data Analysis / NB50617828
davidsonld at ornl.gov
Sat Feb 18 04:01:29 CET 2017
Job Posting Title
Software Scientist - SANS Data Analysis / NB50617828
End Posting Date
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor
(HFIR), the United States' highest flux reactor based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world's
most intense pulsed accelerator based neutron source. Together these facilities operate 30 instruments for neutron scattering
research, each year carrying out in excess of 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials, and biological sciences
with more than 3,000 visiting scientists. To learn more about Neutron Sciences at ORNL go to: http://neutrons.ornl.gov.
ORNL is also home of the Oak Ridge Leadership Computing Facility (OCLF), the Center for Nanophase Materials Science
(CNMS) complemented by a large theory and materials science program.
The Scientific Data Analysis Group (SDAG) is responsible for developing reduction and analysis software in support of SNS
and HFIR instruments. We are seeking a scientist to develop and maintain software for the analysis of data from our Small
Angle Neutron Scattering (SANS) instrumentation. In this capacity, you will work closely with teams of instrument scientists to
help users with standard analysis methods and to develop new computational methods to result in more innovative results
from experiments. This will involve collaboration on international open source projects, with teams of instrument and software
scientists within SDAG and with researchers in Computational and Computer Sciences Directorate (CCSD) at ORNL for the
utilization of high performance computing resources. You will conduct a research program that uses computational skills in
the analysis of data from the NScD instruments.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining software for the analysis of SANS data, particularly the SASview codebase.
- Support the operation of the SANS instruments by providing analysis and reduction support.
- Collaborate with multi-disciplinary team across NScD and ORNL.
- Provide documentation and user training for software.
- Maintain code in a central repository utilizing a version control system.
- Participation in research programs by contributing computational expertise in the analysis and materials modeling of related
to neutron data.
- PhD in Materials Science, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Computational Materials Science or other science related field.
- Must have 2 or more years of relevant experience
- Must show a record of strong software development expertise and an understanding of scientific data analysis.
- Demonstrated experience in multiple programming languages, including C/C++ and python.
- Experience with software engineering practices of using version control, automated testing, and configuration control
- Understanding of reliable software design practices, distributed software systems and computer networks.
- Previous experience with developing software for SANS and or SAXS
- Experience with the SASview code
- Experience developing software at a scattering user facility is preferred.
- Experience in materials research using scattering techniques is preferred.
- Experience contributing to open source projects is preferred.
- Prefer a candidate with strong software development expertise and an understanding of scientific data analysis.
- Prefer a candidate who works well in a team environment, with the collaboration of all levels, disciplines, and diverse
cultural backgrounds of the organization.
Work Directions and Interfaces
Reports to the Scientific Data Analysis Group Leader. Interfaces with facility users and stakeholders, other science group
leaders within the Directorate, other ORNL groups, partner laboratories.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or
We accept Word(.doc, .docx), Excel(.xls, .xlsx), PowerPoint(.ppt, .pptx), Adobe(.pdf), Rich Text Format(.rtf), HTML(.htm,
.hmtl) and text files(.txt) up to 2MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be
deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov.
Notice: If the position requires a Security Clearance, reviews and tests for the absence of any illegal drug as defined in 10
CFR 707.4 will be conducted by the employer and a background investigation by the Federal government may be required
to obtain an access authorization prior to employment and subsequent reinvestigations may be required.
If the position is covered by the Counterintelligence Evaluation Program regulations at 10 CFR 709, a counterintelligence
evaluation may include a counterintelligence-scope polygraph examination.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected
veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify Employer.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Neutron