[Neutron] ORNL: DAQ and Controls Software Engineer / NB50620832
davidsonld at ornl.gov
Wed Mar 8 22:46:27 CET 2017
Job Posting Title
DAQ and Controls Software Engineer / NB50620832
End Posting Date
In this role you will develop software solutions in a collaborative team environment in support of the neutron scattering
instrument beam lines at the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS) and High Flux Isotope Reactor (HFIR). You will contribute to
the development, operation and ongoing support of the beam line instrument data acquisition and control systems. You will
be part of a multifaceted group with expertise in custom electronics, digital design, software, user interfaces, and computing
for data acquisition and scientific control systems. Your contributions will enhance the reliability, capability and scientific
productivity of the neutron scattering instruments.
* Support the scientific mission of the SNS and HFIR by designing, developing, supporting, maintaining and troubleshooting
reliable software for neutron instrument data acquisition and control systems.
* Collaborate with group members and scientific staff towards the design, development and maintenance of the
EPICS-based instrument data acquisition and control system.
* Develop software solutions for experiment automation, and improving experiment workflow through science-oriented user
interfaces (UI) and user-experience (UX) oriented design. Work with scientists and researchers to create software tools to
enhance the scientific productivity of the instruments.
* Support and maintain existing software applications including troubleshooting and bug fixes.
* Provide documentation and training for software. Maintain code in a central repository utilizing a version control system.
Develop and utilize software testing procedures.
* Provide operational support for the instrument data acquisition and control system. The position is typical office hours, but
some off-hours and weekend support is required to support the 24/7 operational needs of the user facility.
* Ensure and monitor compliance with environment, safety, health, and quality program requirements. Promptly identify ESH
and QA issues and communicate them to project and division management, ESH and QA contacts, and/or subcontractor
contacts as appropriate.
* Maintain a strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics.
* Must have a minimum Bachelor's degree in physics, engineering, computer science, or related field
* At least four years of relevant experience required
* Programming experience in at least one of the following languages: Python, Java, C++ or C, with preference for Python.
* Software development in a Linux environment.
* Experience with collaborative/team software development using version control management systems (preferably git).
* An advanced degree in science or engineering with experimental science experience is desirable.
* Ability to work and communicate effectively with teams of scientists, engineers, and technicians.
* The ideal candidate should combine experience or education in experimental science with software engineering to develop
solutions to meet the scientific and operational needs of the SNS and HFIR neutron scattering instruments.
* Working or research experience at a neutron user facility, synchrotron light source or other experimental physics project or
user facility is preferred.
* Experience with the Experimental Physics and Industrial Control System (EPICS) or a similar toolkit for developing
distributed control systems in a scientific environment.
* Programming experience with distributed computer systems is beneficial.
* A growth-oriented mindset embracing learning and adaptation.
Work Directions and Interfaces
This position reports to Instrument Data Acquisition and Controls Group Leader. You will work closely with members of
Instrument Data Acquisition & Controls Group and interface with external scientific users and instrument scientists and
scientific associates at SNS and HFIR. You will also work with other technical groups including information systems, data
reduction and data analysis software developers. You will collaborate with software developers at other international facilities
and from the scientific user community. You will be responsive to evolving needs and facility priorities, and share your
expertise across the group as needed. You will be expected to follow leadership directives at appropriate times as well as
Measures of Effectiveness
* Responsiveness to support needs of instrument and facility operations
* Functionality, reliability, maintainability and usability of developed software
* Responsiveness to special assignments in support of changing scientific needs, project management directives, project
changes, and project reviews
* Produces software-related documentation
* Works effectively in a diverse team environment
* Takes initiative and performs work independently
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or
We accept Word(.doc, .docx), Excel(.xls, .xlsx), PowerPoint(.ppt, .pptx), Adobe(.pdf), Rich Text Format(.rtf), HTML(.htm,
.hmtl) and text files(.txt) up to 2MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be
deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov.
Notice: If the position requires a Security Clearance, reviews and tests for the absence of any illegal drug as defined in 10
CFR 707.4 will be conducted by the employer and a background investigation by the Federal government may be required
to obtain an access authorization prior to employment and subsequent reinvestigations may be required.
If the position is covered by the Counterintelligence Evaluation Program regulations at 10 CFR 709, a counterintelligence
evaluation may include a counterintelligence-scope polygraph examination.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected
veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify Employer.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Neutron