[Neutron] ORNL: Neutron Sciences User and Outreach Program Group Leader / NB50625204
davidsonld at ornl.gov
Thu Apr 6 00:21:03 CEST 2017
Job Posting Title
Neutron Sciences User and Outreach Program Group Leader / NB50625204
End Posting Date
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor
(HFIR), the United States' highest flux reactor based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world's
most intense pulsed accelerator based neutron source. Together these facilities operate 30 instruments for neutron scattering
research, each year carrying out in excess of 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials, biological and medical
sciences. More than 3000 visiting scientists access HFIR and SNS annually. To learn more about Neutron Sciences at ORNL
go to: http://neutrons.ornl.gov.
Deliver a world-class integrated User and Outreach Program in support of HFIR and SNS. Manage and lead the User Office
team and activities, including proposal management and user administration. Work with NScD management to define and
develop processes and procedures, implement programs, and resolve problems. Work with NScD management to develop
and implement an Outreach Program to serve and expand the neutron scattering community. Interface with scientific and
technical staff, users (visiting scientists), user organizations, review and advisory committees, ORNL support organizations.
ORNL user facilities, DOE, other national user facilities including the Society for Scientific User Research Facilities, and the
neutron scattering science community.
* Works with management to establish the vision and goals for the User and Outreach Program; ensure the vision and goals
align with ORNL's Laboratory Plan and Agenda and NScD's Business Plan
* Lead development and execution of the NScD User and Outreach Program processes and procedures, and administers
the User Program, including user support and assistance and proposal management
* Works with management to develop and manage the proposal review process that includes scheduling, advertising,
solicitation, receipt, evaluation, communicating results, and maintaining records
* The Scientific Review Committee (SRC), composed of scientists external to ORNL, reviews and ranks proposals received
as part of the General User Program. Oversees the interactions with the Science Review Committee (SRC), including
candidate identification and invitation, term management, proposal assignments, meeting planning and execution, and action
tracking in order to ensure stakeholder input is solicited and valued
* Works with management to develop and execute a strategic plan for user outreach
* Identify opportunities for and deliver user outreach activities that include university visits, schools, and workshops
* Identify research communities that may benefit from the use of neutrons as a research tool; actively work with the
community to develop contacts and a program
* Represent NScD and the User and Outreach Program at national science conferences
* Support the Industrial Applications Program by identifying beam line access mechanisms and assuring appropriate
agreements have been established
* Assist the SNS HFIR User Group (SHUG) with annual meeting planning and logistics, on-site meetings, annual elections,
and resolution of user concerns
* Prepare and manage User and Outreach Program budget and acquire additional resources to support information
systems, review committee meetings, workshops, etc., as needed, and manage the activities within the assigned budget
* Manage user administration that includes site access, immigration, training, local area assistance, user agreements, user
check-in and work space, while assisting users in identifying instrument and/or science contacts
*Investigate and resolve diverse complex problems utilizing both known solutions and developing new solutions
* Develop process and training requirements/certifications for users, and in turn, ensures users receive training, including
orientation, safety instructions, and other specific training prior to start of research, ensures training records are maintained
according to ORNL policy
* Actively assesses the program to ensure vision and goals are achieved and processes are continuously improved
* Actively participates in developing and managing integrated scientific information systems
* Maintains user data and records, oversees user satisfaction survey process, reports user metrics, including annual
submission to DOE, and responds to requests for information
* Recruit, select, develop, and manage a team of nonexempt and exempt staff
* Comply with ORNL and NScD environment, safety, health, and quality program requirements, including Integrated Safety
* Maintain a strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of ORNL values and ethics.
In this role you will be required to pass the following Training and Certifications:
General Employee Access Training, General User Access Neutron Scattering, Rad Worker HFIR & SNS Users (Web and
Practical), SNS Target Facility Access Training, Training Hosts of Foreign Nationals
* PhD in an engineering or scientific discipline
* 10 or more years of experience in neutron scattering post-PhD
* Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with a diverse group of people in a wide range of technical backgrounds such
as physics, computer science, biology, and engineering required
* Excellent communication skills and prior experience communicating with individuals, large audiences, the community, and
international guests required
* Proven ability managing work groups is required
* Must be available for occasional travel and after-hours calls
* Knowledge of DOE facility-access requirements, and familiarity with immigration requirements desired.
Work Directions and Interfaces
Reports to the Scientific and Program Services Office Manager. Leads the User and Outreach Program. Initiates and
effectively works with other organizations within NScD. Interacts with SHUG and the DOE sponsor, as appropriate. Interacts
with ORNL organizations, including other ORNL user facilities and science directorates, the Conference Office, Travel,
Laboratory Protection Division, Information Technology and Services Division; Partnerships Directorate; Communications
Directorate; Nuclear and Radiation Protection Division, and any other support organizations as required to accomplish
objectives. Develops effective cooperation with other major ORNL user facilities and participates in the Society for Scientific
User Research Facilities.
Authority/Approval Levels: Foreign National Host, PALS, PAS, Travel, Conferences
Measures of Effectiveness
* Manages within budget and within available resources
* Manages proposal process that is recognized as fair and equitable
* Manages user access and training within the ORNL standards
* Manages a user outreach program that develops user collaborations and expands neutron scattering community
* Receives, values, and acts on customer feedback, including users, reviewers, and stakeholders
* Anticipates, tracks, and reports metrics in a timely and quality manner
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or
We accept Word(.doc, .docx), Excel(.xls, .xlsx), PowerPoint(.ppt, .pptx), Adobe(.pdf), Rich Text Format(.rtf), HTML(.htm,
.hmtl) and text files(.txt) up to 2MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be
deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov.
Notice: If the position requires a Security Clearance, reviews and tests for the absence of any illegal drug as defined in 10
CFR 707.4 will be conducted by the employer and a background investigation by the Federal government may be required
to obtain an access authorization prior to employment and subsequent reinvestigations may be required.
If the position is covered by the Counterintelligence Evaluation Program regulations at 10 CFR 709, a counterintelligence
evaluation may include a counterintelligence-scope polygraph examination.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected
veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify Employer.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Neutron