[Neutron] ORNL: VULCAN Instrument Scientist / NB50632950
davidsonld at ornl.gov
Wed Jun 14 04:15:49 CEST 2017
Job Posting Title
VULCAN Instrument Scientist / NB50632950
End Posting Date
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor
(HFIR), the United States' highest flux reactor-based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world's
most intense pulsed accelerator-based neutron source. Together these facilities operate 30 instruments for neutron
scattering research. Each year, these facilities carry out in excess of 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials,
biological and medical sciences for more than 3,000 visiting scientists. HFIR also provides unique facilities for isotope
production and neutron irradiation. To learn more about Neutron Sciences at ORNL go to: http://neutrons.ornl.gov.
The Chemical and Engineering Materials Division (CEMD) of the NScD at Oak Ridge National Laboratory is seeking a highly
motivated early career Instrument Scientist for the VULCAN diffractometer at the SNS. In this role you will be joining the
VULCAN instrument team and provide operational support for the VULCAN diffractometer and develop a vigorous scientific
program associated with the instrument. VULCAN is a world-class engineering materials diffractometer designed to tackle a
broad range of problems in materials science and engineering, including in-situ deformation behavior, transient behaviors
during synthesis and processing, and kinetics of multi-length scale phase transformations, and in-situ/ex-situ stress mapping
in structural components, etc. For more information about this highly versatile instrument, please visit:
* Conduct safe operation and user support for the beamline, which includes user assistance as local contact, assistance with
experimental setup, data acquisition, and data analysis.
* Champion upgrades and developments in instrumentation, software, and sample environment to help maintain and further
improve the performance of VULCAN and expand its user base. .
* Develop a high-quality personal research program in materials science and engineering primarily using VULCAN and other
NScD neutron scattering instruments;
* Work to strengthen existing industrial collaborations and to create new collaborations with industry; publish research results
in scientific journals.
Contribute to the development of new measurement techniques and data analysis for engineering materilas diffraction.
* Ensures compliance with environmental, safety, health, and quality program requirements including ISMS.
* Maintains a strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of laboratory and ethics.
* Ph.D. in material science, physics, engineering, or related fields.
* At least 2 years of relevant postdoctoral experience
* Strong written and oral communication skills and the desire to work in a team environment on technically and scientifically
* A strong record of publication in peer-reviewed scientific journals
* Demonstrated experience in structural analysis scientific software such as GSAS, FullProf
* Ability to develop an independent science program using the above techniques (a research plan should be supplied to
* Research experience involving time-of-flight neutron and/or x-ray diffraction
* Experience with instrument development, instrument support, software and programming development, particularly at a
neutron or x-ray synchrotron facility
* Software and programming skills for object oriented and specific diffraction problems
* Previous beamline support experience in a neutron and/or synchrotron x-ray central facility.
* Experience with IDL, LabVIEW, MatLab, and Python analysis/programming is highly desirable.
* Ability to work with graduate students, post-doctoral researchers, and other research scientists from both academia and
* Ability to work with other technical and scientific support groups to advance sample environment, data reduction and data
analysis for neutron powder diffraction.
Work Schedule requirements: This position supports programs and facilities at SNS that are operational 24 hours a day and
seven days a week. This position will require flexibility in work schedule, and support will be needed during off duty hours and
weekends, in many cases, to assist with user experiments. Ask us about ORNL's flexible work schedule!
Work Directions and Interfaces
* Reports to the Engineering Materials Group Leader.
* Coordinates with the Industrial Application Program at the Shull-Wollan Center, and works with research staff in CEMD and
programmers in the Neutron Data Analysis and Visualization Division and other support groups.
* Collaborates with science programs across other directorates within ORNL and with external user groups.
For technical question about this position, contact Dr. Ke An, kean at ornl.gov
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or
We accept Word(.doc, .docx), Excel(.xls, .xlsx), PowerPoint(.ppt, .pptx), Adobe(.pdf), Rich Text Format(.rtf), HTML(.htm,
.hmtl) and text files(.txt) up to 2MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be
deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov.
Notice: If the position requires a Security Clearance, reviews and tests for the absence of any illegal drug as defined in 10
CFR 707.4 will be conducted by the employer and a background investigation by the Federal government may be required
to obtain an access authorization prior to employment and subsequent reinvestigations may be required.
If the position is covered by the Counterintelligence Evaluation Program regulations at 10 CFR 709, a counterintelligence
evaluation may include a counterintelligence-scope polygraph examination.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected
veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify Employer.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Neutron