[Neutron] ORNL: Control System Software Engineer / NB50642636
davidsonld at ornl.gov
Wed Oct 11 21:03:02 CEST 2017
Job Posting Title
Control System Software Engineer / NB50642636
End Posting Date
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor
(HFIR), the United States' highest flux reactor based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world's
most intense pulsed accelerator based neutron source. Together these facilities operate instruments for neutron scattering
research, each year carrying out in excess of 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials, biological and medical
sciences for more than 3,000 visiting scientists. To learn more about Neutron Sciences at ORNL go to:
The SNS Controls Group supports the successful operation of the SNS. We develop, install, maintain and extend software for
the SNS accelerator and beam lines to increase availability, improve experiment automation, and to allow efficient scientific
data acquisition. We aim to provide control room operators, beam line scientists, and visiting beam line users with superior
software for graphical operator interfaces, alarm handling, and experiment automation within a large-scale distributed control
system infrastructure. Our software tools are often used beyond ORNL, resulting in a world-wide collaboration.
* Participate in the research, development, installation, maintenance and extension of control system software tools.
* Emphasize collaborative development, sharing software with other accelerator and large experimental physics sites.
* When tasked to solve a specific problem, based on local requirements, you strive to generalize, investigate existing tools
for possible adaptation, or design and develop required new tools such that others can share their development and
* Participate in the design, development and maintenance of:
- Java-based user interface and service framework,
- SNS accelerator and beam line control system based on Linux, domain-specific languages, and Python,
- Drivers for integrating new devices into the control system, typically in C/C++.
* This work is done in coordination with local colleagues as well as remote collaborators, utilizing distributed software
* Master's degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related field
* Demonstrated significant experience in the following:
- At least one of Java, C++, Python
- Multithreaded programming
- Network programming
* Able to work both independently, and within a team
* Proficient in oral and written communication
* The ideal candidate combines software development expertise with an understanding of control systems, for example
control and data acquisition with laboratory test & measurement equipment, PLCs, embedded devices, Internet-of-Things.
* Advantageous general software development expertise includes:
- User interface development (preferably Java)
- Distributed software repositories (git)
- Test-driven development
- Continuous integration (Hudson/Jenkins)
- Databases, relational (Oracle, MySQL) as well as NoSQL (InflluxDB)
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or
We accept Word(.doc, .docx), Excel(.xls, .xlsx), PowerPoint(.ppt, .pptx), Adobe(.pdf), Rich Text Format(.rtf), HTML(.htm,
.hmtl) and text files(.txt) up to 2MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be
deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov.
Notice: If the position requires a Security Clearance, reviews and tests for the absence of any illegal drug as defined in 10
CFR 707.4 will be conducted by the employer and a background investigation by the Federal government may be required
to obtain an access authorization prior to employment and subsequent reinvestigations may be required.
If the position is covered by the Counterintelligence Evaluation Program regulations at 10 CFR 709, a counterintelligence
evaluation may include a counterintelligence-scope polygraph examination.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected
veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify Employer.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Neutron