[Neutron] ORNL: Postdoctoral Research Associate – Optical Engineering / NB50645558
davidsonld at ornl.gov
Fri Nov 10 21:22:55 CET 2017
Job Posting Title
Postdoctoral Research Associate – Optical Engineering / NB50645558
End Posting Date
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor
(HFIR), the United States' highest flux reactor based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world's
most intense pulsed accelerator based neutron source. Together these facilities operate 30 instruments for neutron scattering
research, each year carrying out in excess of 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials, biological and medical
sciences for more than 3,000 visiting scientists. HFIR also provides unique facilities for isotope production and neutron
irradiation. To learn more about Neutron Sciences at ORNL go to: http://neutrons.ornl.gov.
The SNS target modules are stainless steel vessels through which the liquid mercury target material flows. Neutrons are
produced through spallation reactions between the high energy proton beam impact with the mercury. The peak power of the
proton beam reaches 25 GW and the corresponding energy deposition in the SNS mercury target is estimated to be ~ 10
MJ/m^3/pulse. Meanwhile, the intense heating of the mercury from individual proton pulses induces a large pressure
increase in the liquid metal, which cause displacements and stresses to occur in the containment structure. To fully
understand the dynamic response of the target during operation, it is important to experimentally measure the target strain
response during/after the proton pulse injection. Due to the space limitation and the existence of strong electromagnetic field
induced by the proton beam, fiber-optic sensors are the unique choice for the strain measurement.
* Develops radiation-resistant, high bandwidth fiber-optic strain sensors for SNS target instrumentation.
* Design and implement fiber-based phase-shifted detection scheme for low-coherence interferometry.
* Modifies existing signal processor according to the new detection scheme.
* Works with team members and vendors to optimize sensor configuration and binding materials of sensors in high radiation
environment through experiments.
* Develops the sensing system to a robust level that no experts are required for its operation.
* Reports research results in peer-reviewed publications, conferences and technical reports.
* Ensures compliance with environment, safety, health and quality program requirements.
* Expected to commit to ORNL's Research Code of Conduct by holding him/herself and others to the highest scientific,
professional, and ethical standards in a manner that fosters mutual respect and enhances the reputation of the individual
researcher, his/her colleagues, and the Oak Ridge National Laboratory in its mission to address the Department of Energy's
and the nation's scientific and technical challenges.
- PhD degree in optical engineering or other related science and engineering discipline.
- Applicants must have received their PhD within five years of this application and must complete all degree requirements
before starting their appointment.
- 3+ years of experience in optics laboratory.
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal, and enjoy working in a team environment.
- Previous experience in fiber optics or fiber sensors is desirable.
- LabView programming skill is advantageous.
Measures of Effectiveness
* Successfully performs assigned work towards achieving optimal performance of SNS target systems.
* Successfully publishes research results of the team in forms of journal publications, conference publications, laboratory
reports, and project technical notes and memos.
* Successfully helps to create an environment in which individuals within the team can meet SNS/ORNL environmental,
safety, health and quality requirements; and successful enforcement of these requirements.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or
We accept Word(.doc, .docx), Excel(.xls, .xlsx), PowerPoint(.ppt, .pptx), Adobe(.pdf), Rich Text Format(.rtf), HTML(.htm,
.hmtl) and text files(.txt) up to 2MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be
deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov.
Notice: If the position requires a Security Clearance, reviews and tests for the absence of any illegal drug as defined in 10
CFR 707.4 will be conducted by the employer and a background investigation by the Federal government may be required
to obtain an access authorization prior to employment and subsequent reinvestigations may be required.
If the position is covered by the Counterintelligence Evaluation Program regulations at 10 CFR 709, a counterintelligence
evaluation may include a counterintelligence-scope polygraph examination.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected
veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify Employer.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Neutron